Grandiose architectural creations
The original four-storey building housed living areas, an audience room, the so-called Herrensaal (Knights' Hall) and a large ballroom - the Imperial Hall. Artistically designed door jambs, colonnades and a mighty sandstone fireplace bear witness to a once magnificent setting. Elector Ottheinrich (1502-1559) ordered the construction of this magnificent building during his brief period of rule between 1556 and 1559. His successor Friedrich III completed the palace ten years later.