Upon entering the palace courtyard, the majestic Friedrich Building immediately catches visitors' eye. Prince-Elector Friedrich IV had the stately residential palace built by his architect, Johannes Schoch, between 1601 and 1607, on the pedestal of a previous medieval structure. The electoral family lived on the two top floors. The attic floor was reserved for the servants. In 1693, the Friedrich Building was significantly damaged; it burned out in 1764.