A fortification with a spectacular view
Around 1525, Ludwig V had a massive rampart west of the palace artificially raised and walled in. This is where the prince-elector positioned his cannons to protect his residence. These were also called "artillery." The substructure of the Fat Tower and the once five-story-tall turret are the last remnants of that old fortification. Today, the shattered shell of the turret is a terrace that offers a grand view far out across the Rhine plain.