Upon entering the castle courtyard, the majestic Friedrich’s Wing immediately catches visitors' eye. Prince-Elector Friedrich IV had the stately residential palace built by his architect, Johannes Schoch, between 1601 and 1607, on the pedestal of a previous medieval structure. The electoral family lived on the two top floors. The attic floor was reserved for the servants. In 1693, the Friedrich’s Wing was significantly damaged; it burned out in 1764.